Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Gmail even more sticky!

I've written before about how sticky Google is making everything -- including the ability to blog from Google Reader like I am right now -- and they've gone and integrated something that makes complete sense. No more downloading a separate app to chat aimlessly with your coworkers and friends. We relied heavily on YIM during my last full time gig.

Chatting in Gmail: One of the big holes in Google Talk is about to be filled--in a proprietary manner. Google is in the process of rolling out Gmail Chat, a feature that will save chat transdcripts within Gmail, and subject them to search. Saving and searching archived chats was impossible when Google Talk was rolled out. This integration of Google Talk with Gmail also helps explain why owning a Gmail account is a requirement of Google Talk.
I am proud to say that I am one of the few who has seen the intermittent rollout in my Gmail accounts. Now I just need someone to chat with...

No comments: