Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Modern Life: Disrupted

It's amazing how easily one can adapt to doing things a certain way.

This past weekend I not only had my debit card arbitrarily (as far as I can tell) killed off for "suspicious activity" on Friday, but my car developed a slow leak on the right front tire on Saturday night. Thus, by Sunday morning, I was left with no ready access to my money and a gimpy car.

Fortunately the tire place I use is nearby and was able to repair the flat for free on Monday. Unfortunately, despite a visit to the branch location for the first time in about three years, my credit union was only able to issue an ATM card since a debit card had already been ordered for me. That would arrive in 10-14 business days.

In the meantime, I had to rack my brain to remember what we used to do in olden times when we needed to pay for something. So yesterday, for the first time in perhaps five years, I was forced to write a check in a store. Twice. Don't get me wrong, I still pay rent and other miscellaneous bills with checks, but everything else is electronic or debit.

It really felt like it took forever to sit there and fill out the amount...sign my name...make a record of it... It also made me flash back to an internal discussion I had a few years ago:

Me: "I love bacon. Wonder how I would cook it if I didn't have a microwave?"
Myself: "Ummm.... how about a pan on the stove top? Duh?"
Me: "Riiiight."

No comments: